|All the Sanghas which form Tendai Canada share this set of committments:|
|THE FOUR BODHISATTVA VOWS|
Sentient beings are numberless; I vow to save them.
Desires are inexhaustible; I vow to put an end to them.
The Dharmas are boundless; I vow to master them.
The Buddha Way is unsurpassable; I vow to attain it.
|THE EIGHT LAY PRECEPTS|
I vow to practice these precepts:
1. I vow to respect all life, sentient and insentient; and practice non-harm, for the benefit of all beings and our shared environments.
2. I vow to take only what is given or earned; and to receive both with gratitude and thanks.
3. I vow to maintain moderation in sexual and other physical actions.
4. I vow to practice with wholesome thought, speech and silence.
5. I vow to protect this body, this planet and all beings from poisons of material and immaterial form; to act in a caring and respectful manner, and with minimal technological interference.
6. I vow to moderate distractions of entertainment and acts of self-display, and to consume the material and immaterial in moderation.
7. I vow to meet situations of anger, conflict, despair and other states of emotional intensity with mindfulness, wisdom and compassion.
8. I vow to challenge the promises of consumption, to restrain my use of luxuries, to avoid situations of greed, gaming and exploitation of the vulnerable; to act always with moderation, and find skillful ways to use my material prosperity to fulfill these vows.
|THE RED MAPLE VOW|
to liberate all beings
through the presentation of the Buddha Way,
In all forms, in all places, in this moment.