2010, Innen was invited to provide the Buddhist perspective on weekly
questions for the Ask The Religion Experts feature in the
Sunday Ottawa Citizen. The questions which range from ethical
dilemmas, matters of faith and details of our practice are answered by
a panel of national commentators from each of the major religions in Canada.
of Innen's columns for the past 12 months are available here in our Archives.
the links below to acces the current column, a selected date or browse
the TopicLisiting to identify the publication date.Older issues are posted
on the Citizen site or by request from Innen.
As of August 18, Innen is creating a longer
version of his answer to the ARE questions. It will be edited down for
the print version. The versions available here are the longer ones.
This Week's ARE
date from Topic Listing
View selected weeks by month
contributors' answers for given questions can be viewed at the Ottawa
Cirtizen's website page.
Religion Experts Questions
on the Question to view the Article
8: Should students be
allowed to proclaim their religion on a T-shirt at school?
1: Should religion play
a role in the labour movement?
25: In the dog days of
summer, can faith take a holiday?
18 : Are monotheistic
religions more prone to religious violence?
11: How can the Olympic
motto — Faster, Higher, Stronger — apply to faith?
5: What are we to think
of the destruction of historic shrines in Mali in the name of religion?
29: Does your faith community
have any specific approaches to the drought situation?
22: Does the renewed
debate on Doctor Assisted Suicide say anything about the sanctity of life
in modern times?
15 – What would your
faith say about ‘bullying' in today's society?
8 – Is there a heaven
1 No paper - :(
24 - Is one ever really
capable of knowing God?
17 Does your faith support
conscientious objectors to war?
10 Does prayer change
3 How does your faith
regard inter-religious dialogue?
27 How do you account
for hypocrites in your faith. Do they discount your beliefs?
20 How do you handle
cases of domestic abuse that come to your attention?
13 Does it bother you
more when it is a 'religious' person who behaves improperly?
29: What does your
faith say about atheists and what do you as a religious leader believe
22: How important is
the actual brick-and-mortar place of worship, be it a church, mosque,
synagogue or other structure?
15: How do you tell
what parts of your religion should be taken literally and which parts
08: Is it appropriate
that statutory holidays like Easter and Christmas celebrate events in
the Christian calendar?
Should children be left
to make up their own minds about religion
25: What is your faith's
view on suicide?
18 Can one be good
11 What role should
government play in regards to religion?
4 Which is more important
in your religion: faith or works?
26 Is tolerance a virtue?
19: Are people inherently
13: What is the relationship
between spiritual and earthly love?
6: What is your faith's
position on the environment?
30: To what extent
are events predestined?
23: Does technology
diminish or enhance our humanity?
15: How should we deal
with spiritual doubts?
8: What is your faith's
view on euthanasia?
We used a different format in 2011. You will need to find the title then
skip to the date to link to the page.
are the weekly questions for the Ask The Religion Experts
feature, since January 1, 2011. The main theme of each question is highlighted.
New questions are added weekly.
the question to view, and Skip to the Sunday Publication
Have social networks like Twitter and Facebook changed things for
religious adherents? (Jan. 9)
2. Is there intelligent, ethical life on other planets? (Jan. 16)
3. How does accelerating change impact fundamental values? (Jan.
4. Are state-run lotteries a good or a bad thing? (Jan. 30)
5. What are the limits to ‘free will?' (Feb. 6)
6. Do others have the right to define what's ethical for me? (Feb.
7. What should we tell our children about people who don't believe
in God? (Feb. 20)
8. Do we pay enough attention in the workplace to ethics? (Feb.
Why is it taught not to speak badly about the dead (even if they
were scoundrels)? (March 6).
10. What role does faith play in health and/or healing? (March
11. What does your faith say about couples living together outside
of marriage? (March 20).
12. How can one overcome the anxieties of this world? (March 27).
Is there such a thing as a collective conscience? (April 3).
14. If it's my life, why shouldn't I end it when I want? (April
15. How important is it that people marry within their own faith?
16. Does your faith impact your voting preference? ( May 1)
17. What are parents' roles in passing on values? ( May 8)
18. How does your faith celebrate the changing seasons? (May 15)
19. Are our family pets "spiritual beings?" (May 22). 20. How can
people of faith be good examples for peace? (May 29).
Does life have a meaning and if so, what purpose do humans serve?
22. Is worshipping together better than praying by yourself? (June
23. Is lying sometimes justified? (June 19)
24. What is Canada's ethical role in the world? (June 26)
25. What is heaven? (July 3)
26. What is hell? (July 10)
27. Is it wrong to be angry with God? (July 17)
28. Does imagination play a role in faith? (July 24)
29. Does religion divide or unite people? (July 31)
30. What role does humour play in faith? (August 7)
31. Do we have a moral duty to bring others to the faith? (August
32. How should people prepare to die? (August 21)
33. Are lascivious thoughts immoral if not acted on? (August 28)
34. What is the nature of the soul? (Sept. 04)
35. Is it a virtue not to eat meat? (Sept 11)
36. Can a person be a realist and religious? (Sept 18)
37. How important is meditation as a spiritual path in your tradition?
38. Does your deity punish and reward in this life? (Oct 2)
39. How does your faith express thanks? (Oct 09)
40. Does desire for prosperity conflict with religious values (Oct
41. Is religious persecution declining or growing?(OctT 23)
42. What role does music play in your faith? (Oct. 30)
43. Is killing to defend your country justified? (Nov 06)
44. How can you distinguish real holy men from charlatans? (Nov
45. Is religion alive and well or struggling to survive in Canada?(Nov
46. How can we improvve interfaith dialogue?Nov 26)
47. Do you believe we're in the ‘last days?' (Dec04)
48. Can ordinary folks be in a state of grace? (Dec 11)
49. Why do so many people get depressed around Christmas time?
50. How can we foster peace on Earth?(Dec 24)
51.Are personal resolutions morally binding? (Dec 31)
Sunday Published by Month
:: FEB :: MAR :: APR
:: MAY :: JUN ::
JUL :: AUG :: SEP
:: OCT :: NOV ::
May 22, 2011
June 19, 2011
July 3, 2011
July 10, 2011
July 17, 2011
July 24, 2011
July 31, 2011
Sunday September 04, 2011
Sunday September 11,
Sunday September 18,
Sunday September 25,
Sunday October 02,
Sunday October 09,2011
Sunday October 16,
Sunday October 23,
Sunday October 30,
Sunday November 06,
November 20, 2011
Sunday November 27,
Sunday December 04,2011
Sunday December 11,
Sunday December 18,
Saturday December 24,
Saturay December 31,